Scroll Top
Carbide Construction Blog Post

Accessory Dwelling Units FAQs

Accessory dwelling units (ADUs) have continued to be a trend in housing throughout the country, and specifically, in the Northern Virginia area. Below are a few commonly asked questions about the permitting and building process for accessory dwelling units in Washington DC and the northern Virginia area.  While most of the questions and answers may depend on your specific municipality, here at Carbide Construction we can help point you in the right direction or answer based on our experiences working in the area!

Can I build an ADU on my property?

All counties in northern Virginia and Washington DC allow ADUs to be built on resident properties, however, where the municipalities allow the ADUs to be built all depends on your zoning code.  For example, Washington DC allows ADUs to be built in type R zone districts except zone district R-19 and R-20. If you need help determining if your municipality allows you to build an ADU on your property, please give us a call!

How big can the ADU be?

Your ADU cannot be larger than your principal residence on your property. This is a standard that is consistent across all municipalities in the northern Virginia and Washington DC area. Moreover, your ADU needs to comply with all building regulations withing your zone district which will limit the size of the ADU as well. We can help you answer these questions if you give us a call. Also, your local building department will also be a wealth of knowledge about what you are allowed to do based on your municipality.

Do I need a building permit?

Yes, you need a permit to construct an ADU on your property. However, we can help! As experts in the area, we have navigated the process many times and will help you secure your permit at every step of the way.

How much does an ADU cost?

The price of an ADU depends on the size, however, ADUs are often significantly more affordable than more traditionally built homes or additions. For more exact pricing, give us a call to request a free quote!

What can I use my ADU for?

The short answer to this is you can use your ADU in any manner you can dream up. ADUs can be used as rentals in some locations, or it can be a hobby space, guest room, home office – pretty much anything you can think of that you wish you had more space for!

Who can I trust to build my ADU?

The answer is simple! You can trust Carbide Construction to build your ADU! We have plenty of experience and are proud to provide Northern Virginia and Washington DC with affordable, modular housing.

So, are you ready for your new ADU? We proudly offer accessory dwelling units to residents of Washington DC and Northern Virginia! Call Carbide Construction for more information today at 703-550-8711 or contact us!

Related Posts

In-Law Suites from Carbide Construction
5 Benefits of In-Law Suites
In recent years, the concept of multigenerational living has gained popularity, and one of the key elements contributing…

Get Ready to Build

Start Your Dream Home Today

There’s only one step between you and your dream home – contacting Carbide Construction! We’re ready to start building. Are you?